Monday, September 9, 2013

New Ships, Part 2 (9-9-13)

So, here's the 2nd half of the latest ships I've gotten done.  They are smaller ships (mostly fighters).
Here we can see two Skipray Blastboats facing off against a Tartan Patrol Cruiser and a Experimental TIE Fighter.

The Skiprays are MicroMachines repaints based on images you can find with a Google Search
The orange paint job looked really changeling to in a manner that made the ship look good, as opposed to clownish.  I think I succeeded.


The Tartan is from here.  I've been wanting one for a while, but just hadn't gotten around to buying another lot of Utar's ships until relatively recently (to say nothing of having the time to paint them up).  I painted a few VERY tiny panels on the Tartan a darker shade of grey than the rest of the ship to bring out some of the detail.  It was super annoying, but I feels like it worked, so I'm glad I did it.
The Experimental TIE is a TIE Advanced X2, the technological mid-point between Vader's TIE Advanced X1, and the prototype models for the TIE Interceptor and TIE Advanced.  It served as the original test-bed for the the elongated solar arrays that would later be seen on the TIE Interceptor and TIE Defender.  Capable of hyperspace travel and equipped with shields, the prototype squadron served various Imperial fleets well even after the research moved past this design.

The TIE Advanced X2 was made by cutting the solar arrays off a TIE Advanced X1 Micro Machine (remolded, not the original), then chopping down two sets of Interceptor wings and putting it all back together.  I had seen someone else do this somewhere on the Web previously, and it seemed genius.

Here we can see a small wing of Rebel fighters squaring off against a patrol of Imperial TIEs.
The Rebel A-Wing, Y-Wing, B-Wing, and X-Wing.  All are Micro Machines, all I did was base them.
Here are a TIE Figher, a TIE Interceptor, and a TIE Bomber.  Also only based.  I'm not really a big fan of the metallic finish, but my 3-yr old pointed them out and told my wife I'd like them (she was right), so whatever.

That's it for this time...

No comments:

Post a Comment